Tough question, sure. But if you’re a music lover, I know you have one. Because “It’s hard to choose just one!” is such an incredible cop out, and you know it. Seriously – what’s the one song you could listen to on repeat for the rest of your life and never worry about it growing old and tired? The one song that makes every waking morning tolerable and every night serene. The one song that makes the greatest difficulties and challenges of life strangely acceptable.
That one, single song.
For me, it’s The Backseat by The Gaslight Anthem from the album, The ’59 Sound. It’s a song that takes me a halcyon place and can alter my entire mental state after only the first verse. Immediately, with the very first line, the expected Springsteen influences shine through with “In the backseat of burned out cars…” and draws up legendary imagery from Thunder Road (a song that wasn’t far from the crown).
The chorus -
You know the summer always brought in
That wild and reckless breeze
And in the backseats, we just tried to find
Some room for our knees
- brings me back to those invincible days of driving around the Jersey Shore in the back of my friend’s Ford Explorer, blasting music, and seeking out girls we could pretend to hit on. We would head to the beach every evening at sundown to play wiffle ball and leave it all behind – life, school, crappy jobs, everything. With a trusty Xbox, the Ocean City boardwalk, and a fridge stocked with unpretentious beer, we were unstoppable come summer.
And, of course, the verse that further brings it home –
Come July, we’ll ride the ferris wheel
Go ’round and ’round and ’round
And if you never let me go
Well, I will never let you down
So, then, what’s your favorite song?
My second place finishes:
* Come Back – Pearl Jam
* Badlands – Bruce Springsteen
* Climb to Safety – Widespread Panic
* This River is Wild – The Killers
* Desolation Row – Bob Dylan